The Hard Bop
We will attempt here to bring you the best musician sites on the internet,
the highest quality discographies of hard bop legends past and present.
With more and more sites for jazz greats beginning to appear, we will attempt to guide you to the very best musician sites on the web. In addition, the Hardbop Homepage will be presenting complete artist discographies to fill in the gaps and ensure that most of the hard bop greats are represented.
- Cannonball Adderley: The complete recording sessions of alto great Cannonball Adderley.
- Art Blakey: Discography with covers for Art Blakey and a chronology of the Jazz Messengers.
- Tina Brooks: A look at the short but powerful career of Tina Brooks.
- Clifford Brown: Home of the extremely modest Clifford Brown Jazz Foundation.
- Sonny Clark: A nice discography site for the legendary pianist Sonny Clark.
- John Coltrane: An incomplete, but nicely done discogaphy of John Coltrane from 1960-67.
- Miles Davis: If you're looking for a Miles Davis site, make this the one you visit.
- Kenny Dorham: Complete discography for bop trumpeter Kenny Dorham.
- Dexter Gordon: Finally, a discography for tenor great Dexter Gordon, the sophisticated giant.
- Grant Green: An nice site for Green biography and a complete discography.
- Gigi Gryce: The legendary hard bop composer and alto saxist Gigi Gryce.
- Herbie Hancock: A comprehensive discography of pianist Herbie Hancock.
- Jimmy Heath: Web site devoted to tenor sax great Jimmy Heath.
- Joe Henderson: A nice discography for tenor great Joe Henderson.
- Elmo Hope: A complete text-only discography for piano great Elmo Hope.
- The Jazztet: A very nice text-only discography for the Golson/Farmer Jazztet.
- J.J. Johnson: A wonderful gallery of album covers for trombonist J.J. Johnson.
- Erica Lindsay: Official site for the wonderful saxophonist and composer Erica Lindsay.
- Jackie McLean: This Japanese discography for Jackie McLean is nice, but not very user-friendly.
- Hank Mobley: An extensive text-only discography for the great tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley.
- Lee Morgan: A complete discography for Lee Morgan including every album cover.
- David Newman: The official web site for tenor saxophonist David "Fathead" Newman.
- Oscar Pettiford: Discographical site for the the great bassist Oscar Pettiford.
- Freddie Redd: An extensive text-only discography for pianist Freddie Redd.
- Sonny Rollins: A very nice site dedicated to saxophone colossus Sonny Rollins.
- Wayne Shorter: The life and work of saxophone great Wayne Shorter.
- Horace Silver: The only site in existence devoted to the Hardbop Grandpop, Horace Silver.
- Tommy Turrentine: A complete text-only discography for trumpet great Tommy Turrentine.
Other Jazz Discographies:
Of course there is more to jazz than just hard bop. The sites below have been chosen for their tremendous dedication to the music and meticulous attention to detail.